When was the last time you went to a dinner party? Chances are, it has been a while. Thinking back on fond memories with friends and family, some of the best times have been in the comfort of someones’ home, tucking into delicious food and engaging in interesting conversations. There’s something about the comfort of being in a home environment that makes people feel more relaxed and comfortable – more so than being in a restaurant.
So why don’t people host dinner parties more often? There are many excuses why dinner parties aren’t more common – the primary reason most people cite is lack of time (either actual or perceived).
To do it right, the planning of a dinner party can seem daunting. You only have to have a look at some ‘how-to’ guides on the internet which detail preparation extending back weeks in advance. Kudos to those who can exact the time and attention that would normally be reserved for military operations.
But what about people like you and I who would really just like to connect with friends in their home, make their guests feel welcome and feed them well?
Here are some tips to host a great dinner party:
– Consider realistically how many people can fit comfortably in your home. While collapsible plastic lawn chairs do work in a pinch, it’s not ideal seating for someone to spend an evening in.
– Choose your menu ahead of time to suit your guests. Any specific preferences or dietary restrictions? Many of our menu items work extremely well in larger portions for dinner parties, contact our staff and together we can come up with just the right menu for you and your guests.
– The day of the party, set the table ahead of time.
– Give yourself time to get ready – you don’t want to still be ironing your clothes when guests arrive.
– Have drinks and hors d’oeuvres ready when your guests arrive.
– Make sure you have extra hangers and/or space for your guests coats and personal items.
– As the party comes to a close, be ready to serve tea and coffee and have some taxi numbers handy for your guests who seek alternative ways to get home.
Above all, relax, have fun and be merry! As the host, you set the tone for the evening.